Friday, September 4, 2009

Smokers

Please excuse my long posting absence, we having been moving half way across the continet. We are now at our new rotation site and Adam is loving it. He is working with an optometrist/opthomologist so he gets to do a lot of the more surgical things with the eyes. Already he has assisted in surgeries and even stitched up afterwards. He loves it! He gets to scrub up, wear the surgical gowns, gloves, masks, everthing. He came home from his first surgery day all excited telling me the details of his day and how he got to stick his finger in and behind some person's eye. Kind of gross, but also cool.

Gabe is growing fast. Already he is 15 lbs and 3 months old! He is starting to get heavy to carry around for extended periods of times. My back was sore yesterday and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I was carrying Gabe in the Snugli for a couple hours the previous day! He is such a cutie! He is laughing now and smiles all the time. He's pretty vocal and likes to "talk" to us. He likes to sit propped up with pillows and is starting to really concentrate on grabbing things. It's amazing how fast babies develop. It's fun to watch.

Lizzy has had a fascination with smokers lately. Let me explain. In our last apartment, the people below us smoked almost all day long on their balcony. The smoke would drift up into our apartment and drive us insane. It was absolutely disgusting. We would always have to close the sliding door to the balcony and then it would get super hot and stuffy in our apartment.

Anyway, we had to explain to Lizzy that smoking is bad for you and we don't want to be breathing that into our lungs. We also told her that it was a bad choice to smoke and we are taught that we shouldn't do it. So now she thinks that anyone who smokes is a bad person. I've tried to explain to her that just because someone makes a bad choice, doesn't make them a bad person. I don't think the concept has stuck.

For example Lizzy ran away from me the other week down the street. I told her to come back and to stay near me so she can be safe. She said, "Why? Is a smoker going to take me?"

Another example: We were watching a show on TV and Lizzy was asking what was going on. I told her that the bad men were chasing the good guys. She said, "Are they smokers?"

Also she will ask me when we're out for a walk or shopping if some random person is a smoker.

Yesterday she came up to me and said, "I just went potty." She paused. "I wasn't smoking."

It's good to know that my 3 year old wasn't smoking in the bathroom.

I will post some pictures soon, but the batteries are dead on the camera, so I can't do it now. There will be some new pictures of Gabe and of Lizzy's new haircut! Fun times for all!

7 comments:

Cali said...

That's so funny that she clarified that she wasn't smoking in the bathroom!

That was a BIG move! How did it all go? I hope that you are settling in well. Can't wait for pictures.

Seth and Sierra said...

That's so funny!! I can't believe how old Gabe is getting!! Crazy.

Emily said...

where did you move?????? did i miss something??

that is hilarious about the smoking..i love that she remembered it was bad and associated it with "bad" people! hahaha!!! so cute!

Unknown said...

haha, she's so funny, it's fun to hear a kids take on life. Just a little mixed up :) That's awesome that Adam gets to do all of that fun stuff.. honestly I think Kent would throw up if he was in the surgery, who knows, maybe I'm wrong but he doesn't seem the type but that's awesome that Adam loves it. The way you explained him coming home from that day was how Kent would come home every day in Salt Lake, he saw a LOT of 'cool' disease there. loves ya!

Allison said...

Emily, we are on clinical rotations for school. We were in Prince Rupert, BC, now we are in Minnesota. Next we will be in Washington, then back in Oregon. All in one year! Woohoo!

Jodi Luck said...

Allison that was hilarious!! I had to read it out loud to Kevin. Love it!
I can't wait to see updated pictures of Gabe!

Shaillé said...

That is too funny, haha! It's hard teaching the concept of a bad choice vs. a bad person and you always worry what they're going to say in public! ;)
We recently taught Matthew about the word of wisdom and not drinking coffee, because we had a coffee maker in our temporary housing and the workers were always asking if we needed more coffee. In the main lobby of the housing place they have coffee also and we would get hot chocolate there sometimes and would explain about the coffee yet again. So he would see someone in the lobby there and say, "They're getting coffee!"

Anyway, glad the new rotation is going well!